Project Lifecycle

Field Suite Images Field

September 04, 2013

I've been using the FieldSuite, which was built by Sitecore MVP, superhero and all around good guy, Tim Braga, for about 8 months now and have come to really like a lot of its featues but there was one field that I hadn't used: The "Field Suite Images Field". When I thought I'd finally look into it, the documentation had a few details about customizing the control but not about using the field which gave me the opportunity to do a quick write-up. So first I tinkered with it until I figured out how to get it working and then figured it would be a good idea to write up a quick post about it.

Site Scraper

July 15, 2013
Tags:

I just finished cleaning up a utility I built a few years ago and pushed it up to GitHub. I often found myself needing to have an html export of some sites so that design vendors could update the css/js, or some sites were being moved to different systems in another part of the company. I've cleaned up the design so that it's less distracting and updated how it works so that you get what you want in the end: a clickable website in a folder.

Linq to Sitecore

April 05, 2013

I wanted to write up an article that elaborates on a presentation I gave on some but not all of the new features that will be upcoming in Sitecore 7. Mostly I'm going to focus on the updates around Lucene search but I'll also touch on some of the other features as well. This will be a longer article so be warned.

Browser Language Detection In Sitecore

April 01, 2013

I recently had a request to detect the browser language for a multilingual site I support. Now this certainly isn't anything new and here's the canonical/obligatory John West post written about it. I'm not trying to rewrite what he's done. My solution is different and deals with different needs. The requirements I had were:

*set the context language to the browser language if the site has item versions in that language
*if the user changes the language through a dropdown selector maintain the new language settings

Sitecore Data Importer Updated

March 02, 2013

I recently spent some good quality time working to update the Data Importer Module. It's an incredibly useful tool and I wanted to address some feedback about it so that users can better understand what it can do and how you use it.

Sitecore Caching Manager Updated

February 28, 2013

I've recently updated the Caching Manager module on the Sitecore Marketplace. The improvements were focused on the UI which I've made to mimic the native design of the content editor. It's a lot more compressed and easy to use. The different cache regions are broken into separate tabs and parts of the form are broken into sections. You can collapse the sections by double clicking on the title bar like you can in the content editor. There's use of Sitecore's icons and the buttons are better defined and the font size is smaller so that more fits on a screen.

Adding Fields To The Link Database

February 14, 2013

This article details how to add fields to the Link Database, how Sitecore uses the FieldTypes.config to add items to the Link Database, issues with the DelimitedField type and how to create your own custom type to use in the FieldTypes.config.

Site Specific Insert Option Rules For Sitecore

January 18, 2013

I recently had the need to add a new template type for a single site on my multi-site system and wanted to be able to provide insert options for this template on content folders only in this site. The content folders are a global template and are shared across multiple sites so adding this new template type to the insert options of the content folder was not a viable option.

Include File References Patch Issue

January 18, 2013

*Update 2

I also found that there was an issue with the <using> statements as well that required an attribute to be added. When I opened the Configure-Assign (Insert Options) or tried to add from template, I would get the following exception:

The type or namespace name 'EventArgs' could not be found.

Once I added an arbitrary attribute to the <using> tag it was fine.

*Update 1

So Sitecore Support got back to me pretty quickly and told me that if I just add an attribute that makes the reference unique that's how to solve the issue. Here's the relevant code:

Item Buckets by Tim Ward

October 24, 2012

After the last mind blowing talk by Tim Ward I decided it would be prudent to catch this talk about breaking the million item mark with content buckets. As if simply storing this much information wasn't enough of a challenge, he was also trying to solve the problem of quickly querying this data set based on a bit of meta information.